I am a child of the south. Hot, humid summers with frigid air conditioning, iced tea all year around (sweet, if your taste runs that way), and children brought up to be polite to their elders. Born in Virginia, raised in North Carolina, resident of Virginia all of my adult life.
The south definitely influences my painting. Landscapes of lonesome farms, wide rivers and dark creeks. The marshes, the mountains, the rolling hills in-between. Blue skies, ever-changing clouds. It’s a beautiful land, settled first by Native Americans, then European immigrants since time immemorial. The peacefulness, the isolation, the sense of home–I work to capture it all.
• • •
A graduate from Virginia Commonwealth University with a BFA in Painting and Printmaking, I initially worked in graphic design and, later, marketing. I had been looking for an opportunity to get back to creating art when a highly regarded oil pastel class had an opening. I grabbed the chance. That led to working in oil pastels for several years. That, in turn, led to a renewed interest in oil painting, which has grown into a passion that only grows stronger by the day.
- Crossroads Art Center – ongoing (ask for Building 2), Richmond, VA
- January – February 2023 – Juried All Media Exhibit, Crossroads Art Center, Richmond
- November-December 2022 – Juried All Media Exhibit, Crossroads Art Center, Richmond
- September-October – Juried All Media Exhibit, Crossroads Art Center, Richmond
- Summer 2021 – Shine! Juried exhibit at Annemarie Sculpture Gardens and Art Center.
- Summer 2021 – Juried All Media Exhibit, Crossroads Art Center, Richmond.
- December 2019 – Metropolitan Richmond Artists Assn. group show, Crossroads Art Center, Richmond.
- Spring 2019 – Art: In the Garden – Juried exhibit at Lewis Ginger Botanical Garden, Crossroads Art Center and St. Stephens Cafe, Richmond.
- Spring 2019 – 6th Annual Mid-Atlantic Juried Exhibition, Montpelier Arts & Education Center, Montpelier, VA
- Jan. – Feb. 2019: Crossroads Gallery, Richmond, VA – Juried Exhibition, All media
- Nov. – Dec. 2018 – Dooley Hall, Richmond Public Library – Solo show, “Memories of Everyday Beauty”
- July – August 2018: Crossroads Gallery, Richmond, VA – All Member Show
- June 2018: VMRC, Harrisonburg, VA – Juried Exhibition *Winner of Purchase Award
- May 2018: Crossroads Gallery, Richmond, VA – Juried Exhibition, All media
- Nov. 2017: 311 Gallery, Raleigh, NC – Juried Exhibition “Land, Sea and Sky”
- Sept.- Oct. 2017: Crossroads Gallery, Richmond, VA – Juried Exhibition, All media
- Crossroads Art Center, Richmond, VA
- Stravitz Fine Art and Sculpture Galllery, Virginia Beach, VA
- Ivy Lane Living, Alexandria, VA